We’re looking for outstanding and passionate teachers in the WA Wheatbelt who are creative, innovative and do exceptional things to promote a love of reading and and improve the reading skills of their students.
Our major initiative in the Wheatbelt is the Rotary Wheatbelt Love of Reading project. Our goal is simple. We want to encourage more kids to read more books more often, because we understand that reading – especially early in life – makes a real difference to learning outcomes later.
To help promote reading and recognize the great work being done in the WA Wheatbelt by schools and teachers to encourage reading and promote literacy development, we’re offering our Rotary Wheatbelt Love of Reading Teacher Champion Awards, with total prizes exceeding $3,500.
Entry for the awards will be in two stages:
- Nomination of the entrant by the school principal, with payment of a $5 nomination fee, by Friday 18 May 2018.
- Creation of a video for public posting on YouTube by the school to support the nomination on behalf of the award nominee. The maximum length of the video is 3 minutes. The link to the video must be submitted by midnight on 8 June 2018
Award prizes will be in the form of book vouchers:
1st prize – $2000 ($1800 to school and $200 to the nominee)
2nd prize – $1000 ($900 to school and $100 to the nominee)
3rd prize -$500 ($450 to school and $50 to the nominee)
and at least one people’s choice award. There may be more than one, depending on the number of nominations received.
The winners of the three major prizes will be ineligible for people’s choice awards.
We’re looking for outstanding and passionate teachers who:
- Convey a love of reading; and
- Improve the overall reading ability of their students.
by being creative, innovative and doing exceptional things.
People’s Choice Award
The people’s choice award(s) will be based on likes recorded against the primary upload of the entry video on YouTube.
The school will create a video to tell the judging panel – and the world – why their nominee deserves to be selected as the Reading Teacher Champion.
The entry video must satisfy the following conditions:
- Posted publicly on YouTube
- Must feature a standard title and video thumbnail as provided by the organisers
- Maximum length 3 minutes
- Privacy set to “public”
- Permissions from video participants for the use of their images and other content in the video must be be obtained and retained by the nominating school.
- Link to the video must be submitted by midnight 8 June.
Tuesday 1 May 2018 – Awards announced
Friday 18 May 2018 (midnight) – Award nominations close
Friday 8 June 2018 (midnight) – Closing date for posting of entry videos
Thursday 21 June 2018 (midnight) – Closing date for voting by judges on round one
Sunday 24 June 2018 – Finalists will be advised
Tuesday 26 June 2018 – 7pm – Finalists interviewed via Zoom videoconference
Wednesday 27 June 2018 (midnight) – Voting by judges on finalists closes
Friday 29 June 2018 – 7pm – Prizewinners announced via Zoom videoconference
There will be a $5 nomination fee (paid by buying the ticket) plus credit card fee . All nomination fees will go into a prize pool that will fund the people’s choice award(s).
School principals are invited to nominate a Love of Reading Teacher Champion candidate by going to https://www.trybooking.com/379291 and buying a ticket for the award announcement event.
School principals who nominate a teacher for the awards will be asked to nominate a competition judge, who will vote in the two stages of judging. The principal can self-nominate for the role of judge.
For More Information
Contact Kero O’Shea (t) 0408 802 490 or (e) secretary at rotaryeclubwa.org.au
Rotary E-Club of Western Australia Inc. (“E-WA”)